Fault - Boiler light flashing whenever power is on Propex Malega 5E

 This is a fault diagnosis blog entry for my IVECO Daily Mk3 35S12 2.3 XLWB.

I present them in a set way so that f you have the same symptom you can find my fix for that problem. 
It is formatted in three sections Fault Symptom, Fault Invest Fault Fix. This will give you the freedom to read through or pick out the info you need more easily.
Remember: there is no one one answer to each problem (well not often) so although this might have fixed my problem, that isn't to say it will fix yours. Also I am no subject matter expert so I may not know a system to the highest detail. 


Fault Symptom

whenever 12v power is supplied to the cabin, the LED status light for the Propex Malega 5E water heater flashes constantly.

Fault Invest

The flashing is a fault code. As it flashes twice it is telling me there is no pilot lite for the gas boiler.
This would make sense as the gas is nearly always off but this is regardless of the boilers switch position even when selected off. 
The boiler operates fine in 240v AC mode where the water is gradually heated up whilst on hook up. The had never had the gas part of the boiler work however.

Fault Fix

For a semi related reason I had removed the boiler to see if it was leaking and to give it a bit of a health check what with its age and annoying fault light.
In doing so I found it was full of chalk but otherwise pretty sound so plumbed it all back together and did some leak checking.
I had a fresh gas bottle on so gave it a go in gas only which didn't work.
I then switched it to gas and electric and the unit snapped on and started going through a gas start up routine. It took a few goes to prime the line but it did actually go in the end running up nice and hot quickly. More importantly the warning light went out.
When the unit was switched off, the light stayed out and switching the gas off didn't change this status.
I believe the unit will throw up an error if it is left in gas mode with no gas supply and this won't go away regardless of switch position till it is correctly started again. However I haven't had the error reoccur so I can't discount a bad connection or something else was I disturbed when checking the heater over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAULT - Speedo not working for first few miles

USB power

FAULT - Hand brake light flashing on whilst driving